Wednesday, September 26, 2007

missing junior high...

And not the way you think. I spent the first two weeks of my own junior high as "Michael" because I'd just moved and didn't have the courage to correct the P.E. teacher.

I miss TEACHING junior high. Strange, huh? For all the times I've been called a saint for doing it--- you either love it, or you don't. End of story. I loved it.

Many things I recently discovered reminded me of this:
1. Lindsey's friend Tiffanie, who I have heard much about but never had the chance to meet. The Big Butts story of January 29, 2007. I can't figure out how to link straight to it.
2. I don't know this person at all, but it reminds me of the lunchroom at first lunch. I can't explain why.
3. Student bribery and overlooking the rules just for once to get something done? I have!
4. Interesting to me that all teaching blogs have the poor things looking for a release that won't get back to their students or get them fired. The story about the boy who couldn't remember how to spell his name made me happy.
5. This person has a happy balance between repressed anger and joy. I like it. Especially the boy who came back to visit.
6. Junior high crushes on teachers ... such awkwardness...
7. Co-teachers!!! I feel ya, Ms. Cornelius and shrewdness of apes!
8. Mating habits of freshmen. So true. I have told many a boy that deodorant really IS important, especially after P.E. Who knew teaching involved all this?
9. Riso machines. I can change cartridges in the dark. And I have...

Nostalgia. Did you know that when I was younger I used to confuse the meanings of "nostalgia" and "nausea"? Maybe I still am.

6 comments:

Sandra said...

Well, Michelle, Jr. High misses you as well.

How to link to a specific blog entry:
When you are at that entry, click on the title. That will bring up the page where that entry is.
Right click on the http address bar to highlight it blue, then left click and copy. Then just use that address as the link address. This links to the specific entry.

michelle m said...

Thanks! That is good to know... I'll have to go back and make some changes!

lindsey said...

You are fabulous...I miss you.

camille said...

Michelle! You came from out of nowhere! I miss you too.

"Ms. Cornelius" said...

Oh, I loved teaching middle schoolers.

Middle schools, themselves, however, I can live without.

Hilary said...

I miss junior high as well! How wonderful it was to relive junior high over again (as a teacher). Maybe that's why I decided to teach junior high, so I could try to convince all my kids that being dorky was cool, and if you tripped or said something stupid it was ok to laugh at yourself, and even though no one believed me at least I believed myself the second time around!