Wednesday, July 15, 2009

old alexandrian stuff for our friend seth

This is me in front of "Pompey's Pillar" which is really a misnomer as it was built for Diocletian. I have actually heard of him so therefore he is probably important. It is about 100 feet high. I touched it for you, Seth.

We also went to the Catacombs of Kom el-Shuqafa which was amazing. And the place that most tempted me to break the no cameras rule... Basically, it was a series of tombs that combined both Greek and Egyptian traditions and styles. (Which I see as symbolic of Seth and Andrew's relationship.) It was amazing to duck through all kinds of tunnels and see thinks carved in the first century. Pretty awesome. One of the coolest (literally and figuratively) things I've seen so far.

2 comments:

Flem said...

I have heard of that guy too so you are right about his seeming importance.

Does a phone count as a camera at those places?

Wow thanks for allowing this vicarious experience. I can almost smell the desert air...

Seth Jeppesen said...

Thanks! It's true - Diocletian is important...and so is Pompey. In return for your kindness I'll visit the Blue Mosque in Istanbul vicariously for Andrew.