My boss tried to tack on a second meeting in Santa Maria on Monday morning (the last real day to schedule speakers) on a day I had already:
* talked someone (good) down from quitting
* arranged for legal assistance for said good person
* been rejected ten times by veterinarians because they are so busy with National Pet Dental Health Month that they can't come to Career Day (Really?! It was like they had orchestrated it.)
* hosted a 7:30 a.m. meeting
* wrangled 100 (incoming) and 30 (outgoing) phone calls
* returned 15 messages
* answered 110 emails
* generated 68 emails confirming speaker groups
* already accrued three hours of overtime and it was 2 p.m.
What was my mature, well-adjusted adult response?
I totally just started crying, involuntarily, and to the shock of all present.
Got me out of my meeting. Convinced him to hire part-time help. All of this without words. I can see why people do this to get out of tickets.
Super not regretting the giant crate of jellybeans and the epsom salt I made my husband drive me to get from Kmart in the rain on the week of his giant book chapter's completion goal.